Friday, September 17, 2010

Money != Happiness

"Well if you think money won't buy you happiness, hell, you ain't ever been to Reno" ~Stumpy in the movie Out Cold.

"Oh they say I come with less
Than I should rightfully possess
I say the more I buy the more I'm bought
And the more I'm bought the less I cost" ~Joe Pug

Money is this funny double-edged sword. You need it to survive in modern day society, yet it is so coveted by many it often becomes addicting to hoard as much as possible. Months ago I had a conversation with a friend while running about this very topic. We agreed that the amount of money you have or material items you own only affects happiness until a certain point. Where exactly that tipping point is, who knows, but we believed it to be not that far above the poverty line. All I know is that attitude and appreciation of life outside of work and money is probably the biggest factor of happiness in my opinion. With the average person, it's a humanistic instinct to consume. In this era, the more money you have, the more you can consume. Sure, some of this added consumption with higher income may be beneficial to your general healthiness and well-being. You may buy healthier food, fix your dilapidated house, buy proper footwear to go hiking, donate to a charity you align with. Often you'll find that people will just buy things to fill their budget. I am close with many upper-middle class folks in their 20s and 30s. A couple of them live as if they make a fraction of what they really bring home, but the majority find things to spend their extra cashflow on. To be honest, and for the sake of making my point, those couple people who live simply despite their income level are two of the most satisfied, fulfilled individuals I know. The difference here is attitude. Others that live off of very little by necessity, but certainly enough to live, are also generally fulfilled. Sure, nobody is a cheerful cupcake 100% of the time, but the overall demeanor is generally on the positive side. Others have the attitude that they could always use just a little bit more money, no matter what they make currently. It's like a drug addiction in a way, and is a classic way to lead yourself down the golden road of dissatisfaction. Getting money and material items may get you a short high, but will always leave you wanting more. Trim the fat and use what you have left wisely. Simplifying will make you rich in other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment